Number 2 RULE for weight loss on the Code Red Lifestyle is to drink at least a gallon of water a day! This may sound daunting, but there are some tried and true tricks to help you get it all down in a day.
This post may contain affiliate links. Read full disclosure policy HERE
If you MEASURE it you can MANAGE it
One of the biggest take-a-ways I got from Cristy Nickels Code Red Lifestyle is the mantra, “what gets measured gets managed.”
Just as it is important to measure your food, sleep and weight; it is also imperative that you measure your water intake for the day. One fun, cheap and effective way to do that is by getting a gallon of drinking water that you can mark your “drink me” times on! Pinterest has so many fun ideas showing how others have labeled their gallon jugs.
This is not only a great visual, it is also environmentally friendly as you can re-use your jug and fill it up at home each day.
Water is so BORING and BLAND!
Yes, water is boring and bland. Some of us can’t drink it early in the morning without gagging. Plain, filtered drinking water at room temperature can be hard to swallow. If you have been drinking flavored coffees, sodas, juices or mineral waters all day it is going to be hard to switch over to water as your main hydration. So, here are some ideas on what to add to your water to “jazz” it up.
Great water additives
- Herbal tea bags: I personally love any mint herbal tea. When added to my water bottle it gives just a hint of mint and is very refreshing.
- doTerra lemon essential oil: I have this oil on auto-ship every month from doTerra because I use so much of it. Dilute one drop in 4 fl. oz. of water. Lemon slices can also be added to your water, but they can be a bit bitter and messy. Nearly 3,000 lemons are needed to distill just over 2 pounds of lemon essential oil. This equals about 50 lemons per 15mL bottle. When bottled for human use, essential oils are highly concentrated and very healthy for you.
- Ultima replenisher electrolyte powder: We have tried the grape, raspberry and lemonade in our house. The lemonade is our favorite. This electrolyte powder is zero calories, zero sugar and made with plant -based colors and flavors. It is also vegan, gluten and caffeine free. Not sure what is left to put in it, but it tastes and works great. Actually it is made with all 6 electrolytes plus minerals and low sodium. When you are drinking so much water, you actually flush out some of the good “stuff in your body which can cause you to feel-flu like or dizzy.
Fruit infused water
Adding fruit or berries to your water is another tasty and no carb way to flavor your water. Get yourself a 40 oz water bottle to transfer your water into from your measuring jug. Live Infinitely double walled vacuum insulated water bottles come in 30, 40 or 64oz, are stainless steel and have a removable fruit infusion rod. You can choose from over 8 fun colors and it is under $20!
I have this one and love it. It keeps my water cold and does not sweat all over my desk. Blueberries, strawberries and/or raspberries are Code Red approved and as long as you don’t eat them they don’t add any calories or carbs.
Yes you will pee a lot!
Sorry if this is TMI! Want you to be prepared that you will go potty a lot more often. We joke at work that we are all on the “potty train” because at least one out of the six of us is in the bathroom!
The upside is you are flushing out all of the toxins from your body. Your skin, nails and hair will feel and look healthier. Arguably it is one of the cheapest beauty products you can buy!
Ten tips to take home
- Make a “drink me” gallon water jug and carry it around with you every day.
- Add non calorie, non caffeinated additives that will flavor your water.
- Infuse your water with berries or citrus.
- Invest in a 40 oz stainless steel water bottle.
- Start drinking early. Try to get 16 oz down right when you get up to get things moving.
- Get your friends on the water bandwagon to support and challenge each other.
- Put an app on your phone to remind you to drink at certain time.
- Room temperature water is easier to drink down than ice cold water.
- Drink 5 sips at a time.
- Remember why you are doing this and how healthy it is for you.
If you like this blog, follow along!
Win a free bottle of doTerra lemon essential oil from me by subscribing to my blog via email! You can do that right HERE.
I will draw a winner from the list of my blog subscribers Friday 1/18/19 and mail it out!
Peace & Love